- 24 Hour Crisis Line – 336-413-5858
- Assist Victim with 50B Protective Order Process
- Provide Transportation and Advocacy for Domestic Violence Related Court Procedures.
- Provide Shelter, Food, and Clothing for Victim and her Children
- Provide Transportation for Necessary Appointments
- Coordinate with Community Agencies to Secure Counseling and Other Services for Victim and Children
- Assist Victim in Obtaining Employment
- Assist Victim in Securing Permanent Housing
Next Step Ministries provides an emergency/transitional shelter for survivors of domestic violence and their children. The shelter can house up to 11 women and children. There are two family rooms for women with children and one room for single women. Residents share several common areas including a living room, kitchen, playroom, laundry room, and bathroom. The backyard is private and is fenced in to make it safe for children to play outside.
When residents first come to the shelter, they are given a 24 to 48 hour transition period for them to settle in and regroup after their abuse. This helps them decide what they want to do and to help them feel safe. Following the transition period, they work with the staff to set immediate and long term goals. This will assist them as they take steps towards freedom from the abuse and towards their independence. These goals are reviewed and evaluated on a weekly basis. In addition, the residents have a weekly meeting with the house manager to walk through the trauma of their ordeal.
Food and other daily essentials such as diapers and laundry detergent are provided free of charge. Once residents secure employment, they begin assisting in providing for their daily needs.